Stop the Hate
Since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, there has been a rise in racism and discrimination against the Asian American Pacific Islander (AAPI) community.
Together, we can stop the hate.
Stop AAPI Hate
- 11,500 hate incidents were reported between March 19, 2020, and March 31, 2022.
- Harrassment is a major problem. Approximately 67 percent of incidents involved harassment, such as verbal or written hate speech or inappropriate gestures.
- AAPI individuals who are also female, non-binary, LGBTQIA+ and/or elderly experienced hate incidents that targeted them for more than one of their identities at once.
Hate Can Happen Anywhere
- In large cities
- In small towns
- In AAPI enclaves
- In places where AAPI communities are few and far between
Actions You Can Take
- Speak out against hate and intolerance.
- Report AAPI and other hate crimes and incidents to Stop AAPI Hate.
- Offer support to victims and organizations assisting victims.
- Have community rallies to give victims a platform and voice.
- Ask public officials to speak out against hate crimes.
- Establish a local hate crime network that includes law enforcement, local government, schools, religious organizations and community organizations. Ask them to respond to hate crimes immediately when they happen and to promote prevention and awareness.
What We Are Doing
In March 2022, the California Department of Social Services chose The Center to serve as a regional lead for the Stop the Hate program. In this role, The Center directs grants to qualified organizations to provide support and services to hate crime victims and survivors and their families. The grants also equip organizations to facilitate hate incident and hate crime prevention measures.
Learn About Our Partners
The California Department of Social Services and The Center selected 18 organizations to partner in this work. Learn more on our Partners page.
In the News
Our Safety and Wellness are Inextricably Linked
Sierra Health Foundation and The Center statement on ending violence
Jan. 24, 2023
Stopping hate crime in the API community (Fox40.com)
May 19, 2022