California Mortgage Relief Program
The COVID-19 pandemic created inequitable financial hardship for many communities in California, which has the potential to dramatically impact first-generation homeowners and those at or below their county’s area median income.
The California Mortgage Relief Program (CAMortgageRelief.org) assists at-risk homeowners in difficult-to-reach, socially disadvantaged and traditionally underserved communities to keep their homes. It also offers streamlined assistance to fully reinstate mortgage delinquencies.
Launched in January 2022 with a statewide media campaign, the program partners with community-based organizations for multilingual outreach and engagement to ensure income-qualified homeowners are made aware of financial resources, know how to apply and are motivated to act. The program receives federal funds through the California Homeowner Relief Corporation (CalHRC).
The California Mortgage Relief Program prioritizes high-quality, interactive, in-person outreach and navigation efforts. Our 17 funded community partners use a combination of outreach and navigator efforts to engage and educate their communities about the program. Funded partners who provide navigator services are trusted community representatives who reduce application process barriers and support homeowners who have questions and concerns about mortgage payments and property taxes.
Testimonial from Vision y Compromiso
“Promotores in our community are so important to keep us informed about what programs exist and how we can access them. Unfortunately, there is a lot of fear and misinformation, so many people do not use services that can help them. Especially since so many people lost their jobs during the pandemic, this mortgage relief program will help many families. But we have to get the word out so that people who may not have information about what programs are available in their counties can get the help they need.” (Source: CAMortgageRelief.org)
Funded Community Partners
- Building Skills Partnership
- California Rural Legal Assistance Foundation
- Community Action Partnership of Sonoma County
- Council for American-Islamic Relations
- Fresno Central Labor Council, AFL-CIO
- Homeownership of San Francisco
- Imperial Valley LGBT Resource Center
- Korean American Federation of Los Angeles
- Logan Heights Community Development Corporation
- Monterey Bay Central Labor Council, AFL-CIO
- Orange County Asian and Pacific Islander Community Alliance
- Stanislaus Multi-Cultural Health Coalition, West Modesto
- The Community Action League
- The Ring of Democracy
- United Way of Kern County
- Vision Y Compromiso
- Westside Family Preservation Services Network
Learn more about California Mortgage Relief Program community-based organizations (CAMortgageRelief.org).